Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Crochet and TNNA 2008

Let's get down to brass tacks, shall we? You'll find lots of knit-focused blog entries about TNNA-Columbus right now but take a walk with me on the crochet side. My overall hit from this show? Crochet is solidly on the up in knitworld. [I have a dream that someday it will be more accurate to say 'yarnworld' instead] From whence comes such an impression?

Not TNNA's fashion show, which was composed of the same ratio of crochet to knit as the other two years I've attended (oh, about 1% crochet content). What gets shown on the runway is the result of many factors though, so I'll just leave it at that.

Crocheted garments were sprinkled into many show booths, so crochet fairies have been working hard. These garments ranged from magically delicious to practical classics. Some draped more than the knits; some knit sweaters weighed more than the crocheted ones. [There will come a day when I won't feel the need to point this out] One might be tempted to say that this is what causes my "crochet's on the rise" tingles, but not really--there was some great crochet last year. Tinkerbell is a crocheter.

Here's where something truly new is going on: a new attitude among enough knitting attendees to matter, whether they be yarn shop owners or even 'knit establishment' insiders. Knit blinders are off! People are looking at crochet in its own right, not mentally comparing it to knits [and then coming out with a biased verbal gaff]. Crochet designers as a group [not just big names] seem to have earned some credibility somewhere along the line. An open-minded interest is replacing the closed-minded stony-face that crocheters have encountered for years.

I wish I could go into some specifics that reinforce my impressions but I'm sorry I have to be discreet else how will someone be able trust me with secrets in the future? :-)

Crochet's stock is going up. Isn't it great?

3 comments:

  1. Vashti,

    I'm looking for slip stitch patterns to refer people to. I know you have the shrug. Do you have any others I can point people to on my blog?

    David Benjamin
    AYarnifiedLife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    Thank you for referring people to the Pullover Shrug, which benefits CGOA. Right now it's the only published slip stitch pattern I have. I have a couple more coming down the pike and will let you know when and where they are available.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:17 PM

    Thanks!!!! I love your new sweater!!!! ACER Battery SQU-202 BTP-650 SQ-2100 916-2320

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a pretty bead in a necklace. Please add one!