Saturday, December 01, 2007

Orlando Needlework Show Wrap-up

Took two excellent classes at the show and realized I didn't blog about them: Lily Chin's Color, Composition, Scale, Stitch and Pattern in 2-Dimensional Design and Darla Fanton's Tunisian Entrelac-to Felt or Not; Part 1-In the Round.
I've never seen this one offered by Lily before, so I had to take it out of curiosity. Within in the first 5 minutes I knew I was in the right class when she asked, "What is the difference between Art and Design?" I spent the rest of the conference mulling over our discussion!

It's funny to me now to type "Tunisian Entrelac in the Round" because before I took Darla's class it sounded exotic and advanced. I had never done any kind of tunisian crochet in the round, let alone entrelac. Yet it was perfectly easy to learn in class and I never once thought, "Holy cow, this tunisian entrelac in the round is crazy stuff". It seems more natural than working flat, actually.

I finished my project in class: a bowl to felt (see above photo). Now that I have it home, though, it's very soft and is the perfect size for my Hat Guru, so I think instead of felting it I'll edge the brim and let it be a hat!

The last bit of news is: YES Floridians! There WILL be another Orlando Needlework Show in September 2008!
UPDATE (Dec. 7): Dates for 2008 are being revised.

4 comments:

  1. This hat is fabulous Vashti! Glad you didn't felt it as the stitches are gorgeous. Please tell more about Lily's question and class. Dora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:11 AM

    Hi Vashti,

    I love the color combination. Sounds like you had a great time, Thanks for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!
    Something I like about felting is that working smooth wools loosely makes stitches look different, and sometimes I prefer it like with this hat. The soft bounce of the yarn can really bloom.
    I forgot to mention the yarns in the blog entry: the two solid colors are Tahki Bunny, and I used Lily Chin's Park Avenue for the the multicolored diamonds.
    I think I'll have to do another blog entry in response to Lily's class. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:43 PM

    hi thats pretty !!

    ReplyDelete

Each comment is like a pretty bead in a necklace. Please add one!